Nominations are now open for the 2017-18 J. Russell Kent Exemplary Program Award. All districts are encouraged to submit nominations of outstanding programs. The awards will be presented at our annual awards ceremony on May 18, 2018.
- To be considered, programs must meet the following conditions:
- Member district must have paid their dues to the San Mateo County School Boards Association by December 31, 2017.
- Nominated programs must have been implemented and be fully operational (planning time excluded) for two full years. Long-standing programs may also be considered.
- No purchased programs are allowed.
- Programs must be open to site visits during the months of February and March 2018.
- Applications must be submitted online by JANUARY 26, 2018. All applications must be reviewed and signed by the superintendent and board president.
- Award Categories:
- Classroom Programs: Each district with enrollment under 2000 may submit one (1) application. A district with enrollment over 2000 may submit two (2) applications. The San Mateo County Community College District and the San Mateo County Office of Education shall each be considered a single district.
- Innovative/unique Non-classroom Programs. Each district may submit one application.
- Joint District Programs. Each district may submit one application. Participating districts must submit applications jointly. This application is separate and does not count in either of the above two categories.
- Districts are also encouraged to nominate an outstanding counselor to receive the 2018 Emily Garfield Award.
Entries will be scored according to the program rubric. A committee selected by the Executive Board will do the paper evaluation screening and site visits during February and March 2018 will verify the information submitted. The SMCSBA Executive Board will make a final review and applicants will be notified by letter or email whether or not they have received an award. The superintendent will be notified by letter of the status of his/her district’s application(s).
If you have any questions regarding the process, please contact Nancy Kohn-Hsieh at email@example.com.
SMCOE Excellence in Education & Equity Award
SMCSBA is pleased to announce that the San Mateo County Office of Education will be sponsoring the first ever Excellence in Education and Equity Award at the Kent Awards celebration. The award will recognize a team of educators from among the Kent Award winners to celebrate the collaborative work being done in the county to support students. There is no separate application process to be eligible for this award.