Members advocate for students at CSBA Legislative Action Day 2017
April 3, 2017
With 12 board members representing San Mateo County schools from 7 local districts, Region 5 was well-represented at the CSBA Legislative Action Day 2017. Our delegation visited with State Senators Jerry Hill and Scott Wiener, as well as Assemblymembers Marc Berman, Kevin Mullin, and Phil Ting.
SMCSBA Members in Attendance
- Lynn Bowman, La Honda-Pescadero USD
- Elizabeth Bredall, Pacifica SD
- Marc Friedman, San Mateo Union HSD (CSBA Delegate, Region 5B)
- Cindy Hayes, La Honda-Pescadero USD
- Nancy Hsieh, San Mateo-Foster City SD
- Jesse Levin, Pacifica SD
- Andrew Lie, Jefferson Union HSD
- Alisa MacAvoy, Redwood City ESD (CSBA Regional Director, Region 5)
- Kevin Martinez, San Bruno Park ESD (CSBA Delegate, Region 5B)
- Kalimah Salahuddin, Jefferson Union HSD (CSBA Delegate, Region 5B)
- Rosie Tejada, Jefferson Union HSD
- Laverne Villalobos, Pacifica SD
The Legislative Action Day was quite a success, with nearly 200 board members from around the state (an increase of 33 members from last year) participating in 110 legislative meetings to discuss the issues of the day: the state budget and proposed Prop 98 manipulation, home-to-school transportation, employer pension contribution increases, the reserve cap, and teacher shortage issues.
School board members should continue to advocate on behalf of schools by setting up meetings with local legislators and extending invitations to them to visit schools and special programs. Your voice matters and SMCSBA can assist you by sharing best practices on how to communicate with our local legislators.
Mark Your Calendars!
Be sure to mark your calendars for next year’s CSBA Legislative Action Day which will be held Tuesday, March 20, 2018. All board members are invited to participate and advocate on behalf of the children in San Mateo County and all of California.