Apply for a Kent Award
Nominations are now open for the 2016-17 J. Russell Kent Exemplary Program Award. All districts are encouraged to submit nominations of outstanding programs. The awards will be presented in on May 22, 2017.
1. To be considered, programs must meet the following conditions:
- Member district must have paid their dues to the San Mateo County School Boards Association by December 31, 2016.
- Nominated programs must have been implemented and be fully operational (planning time excluded) for two full years. Long-standing programs may also be considered.
- No purchased programs allowed.
2. Applications must be received and/or postmarked by JANUARY 23, 2017.
- Classroom Programs: Each district with enrollment under 2000 may submit one (1) application. A district with enrollment over 2000 may submit two (2) applications. The San Mateo County Community College District and the San Mateo County Office of Education shall each be considered a single district.
- Innovative/unique Non-classroom Programs. Each district may submit one application.
- Joint District Programs. Each district may submit one application. Participating districts must submit applications jointly. This application is separate and does not count in either of the above two categories.
4. Programs must be open to site visits during the months of February and March 2017.
5. Award categories: There is one award level. Please see the evaluation procedure #1 below and the enclosed scoring form regarding qualification for the award.
1. Each application must be submitted on the attached application form (or a copy of same) and must include:
- A description of the program with the program name as a heading. Please address the enclosed criteria/scoring rubrics in your description/application.
- A paragraph of 100 words or less describing the program as you would like to see printed in the Kent Award brochure should it qualify. (Must be submitted electronically in a WORD document.)
2. All applications must be reviewed and signed by the superintendent and board president.
3. Send 2 paper copies of the completed applications to: Chelsea Bonini at 338 Rolling Hills Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403. You may also send the application via email to email@example.com.
1. Entries will be scored according to the enclosed rubric. A committee selected by the Executive Board will do the paper evaluation screening.
2. Site visits during February and March 2017 will verify the information submitted.
3. The SMCSBA Executive Board will make a final review and applicants will be notified by letter or email whether or not they have received an award. The superintendent will be notified by letter of the status of his/her district’s application(s).
If you have any questions regarding the process, please contact Hilary Paulson at (650)568-9427 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.